OverviewThe REDkit is a toolset created by CD Projekt RED for modders to allow them to create their own content for the PC version of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, such as new, non-linear adventures, new locations and much more. REDkit is powered the studio's REDengine technology which was specially designed for The Witcher 2 and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077.
REDkit is a unique development tool that makes it possible to modify the original game and allows any player to create a "living world" with the use of advanced landscape design tools, 24-hour day-and-night-cycle simulations and thousands of ready-made assets used in The Witcher 2.
The REDkit toolset is in the Closed Beta phase and will be available in the first half of 2013 for free and to everyone who owns a copy of The Witcher 2.
HistoryREDkit was officially announced by CD Projekt RED on 9 August 2012 and presented at Gamescom 2012 between 15 to 17 August 2012. A Closed Beta programme was announced on 17 August 2012 and modders around the world where invited to submit their applications by 30 September 2012. The REDkit Closed Beta started on 18 October 2012 following the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Fall Special Event where it was revealed that 100 applications had been accepted.
ToolkitThe REDkit consists of a suite of applications which are installed in the same directory as The Witcher 2 executable (witcher2.exe):
- The REDkit: World Editor application (editor.release.exe) is the main Integrated Development Environment (IDE) in which worlds can be created and edited. The IDE includes an Asset Browser, Log Window, Filter options and dedicated editors for each asset type, for example the Community Editor, Quest Editor, Scene Editor, etc.
- The REDkit: RED Strings application (RedStrings.exe) allows searching and modifying strings kept in the strings database.
- The Witcher Script Studio application (scriptStudio.Release.exe) is the IDE for creating, editing, debugging and profiling gameplay scripts created using the custom Witcher Script scripting language.
- The Witcher 2 - User Content Cooker application (userContentCooker.exe) is TBC
- The Witcher 2 - User Content Manager application (userContentManager.exe) allows Players select which user content packages (mods) they want to in their game.
- (wcc.exe) is TBC
The REDkit installation also requires an instance of SQLite database engine for managing the core and user strings.